The Old School House was originally built in 1724 as a Free School for the children of the parish. The benefactor was Dr Edwards, a surgeon, who died in 1723.
He also bequeathed amounts to charities for the education of boys in other villages. Dr Edwards made much of his wealth in a number of deals ranging from timber sales and estate investments.
The old school is a two storey brick and tile building on a sandstone plinth. The school was closed in 1882, and converted into cottages. After the charity sold the property in 1906, it was converted into a single private residence.