We have received the following notice from Warwickshire and West Mercia Police:
VEHICLE CRIME ADVICE
It can take as little as ten seconds for a thief to enter a vehicle and steal something from within. There are a number of simple steps that you can take to protect your vehicle and belongings:
- Double check that your door is locked and windows and sun roof are closed.
- Don’t leave anything on display in the vehicle such as sat navs, loose change or bags. Even if there’s nothing valuable in the bag, a thief doesn’t know this and by the time they’ve smashed your window to get it it’s too late
- If you have a garage, use it.
- Consider installing security lighting.
- When parking always choose a well-lit area, preferably with CCTV coverage.
- Keep your vehicle ownership documents in your house not in your car
- Think about who you leave your keys with. Do you trust them? Valet parkers, car washers and even some garages have been known to make copies.
- When at home keep your car keys away from doors and windows and out of sight.
- Check that your alarm or immobiliser is enabled when you leave the car.
- For more information and advice on ways to prevent car crime visit https://www.police.uk/crime-prevention-advice/vehicle-crime/
If you see anyone acting suspiciously and believe a crime is about to be committed then report it to police on 999. Otherwise use the 101 non-emergency number. Alternatively, information can be provided anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or via www.crimestoppers-uk.org