There is so much to see and do in and around Kenilworth!
Below are just a few suggestions on what you can do in and around the town. Kenilworth is also a great base from which to explore Warwickshire.
Abbey Fields | Old High Street | Kenilworth Castle and Elizabethan Gardens | Kenilworth War Memorial | Little Virginia | Millennium Walks | Nature Reserves |Priory Theatre | Stoneleigh Park | St Nicholas’ Church | Talisman Theatre | The Clock Tower | The Old School House | The Kenilworth Greenway
Close to the Parish Church of St Nicholas lie the ruins of the Abbey of St Mary the Virgin.
Visit British History Online for a complete history of the Abbey.
Kenilworth Castle and Elizabethan Gardens
Immortalised and romanticised by Sir Walter Scott in his early 19th century novel, Kenilworth is probably one of the finest ruined castles to be seen in Britain today.
Bridge Street and High Street, form the east and north sides of Abbey Fields. Numerous examples of fine listed buildings can be found here all in excellent condition.
The little hamlet of Little Virginia originally consisted of fifteen cottages which date from the 17th Century.
The high banks and massive ditch that encircle todays car-park protected the Tiltyard and its sluice-gates. Why do you think this was so important for the Castle’s defence? Soldiers used this arena to practise fighting in mock battles called ‘melees’. Download a map.
Stoneleigh Abbey stands beside the River Avon, and buildings have been inhabited on this site for 830 years, since 1154 when King Henry II granted the lands to a community of Cistercian monks. Visit the website for more information about events and tours.
Stoneleigh Park is home to many events and shows, which draw thousands of visitors from across the Country.
St Nicholas’ Church
St Nicholas’ Church is situated in High Street, and looks out over Abbey Fields. The exact date of its founding isn’t known, but by 1291 it was in the patronage of the Priory of Kenilworth.
The Clock Tower
The clock stands at the head of Warwick Road by Abbey End, and was presented to Kenilworth in 1906 by G.M. Turner as a memorial to his late wife. The inscription for the plaque at Abbey End reads “Near this spot stood The Globe Hotel, destroyed by enemy action on the night of 21 November 1940, killing 28 people. Their known names are recorded on a table in the cemetery chapel”
The Old School House
The benefactor was Dr Edwards, a surgeon, who died in 1723. He also bequeathed amounts to charities for the education of boys in other villages
The Kenilworth Greenway
The old railway track has been transformed into a peaceful, traffic free cycle and pedestrian route. It currently runs from Abbey Fields to Berkswell, with a recent extension to join it to the University of Warwick.